Sunday, February 7, 2010

Math IS Fun!

So, math. Enough said, right? Well that is sometimes how my students feel and they aren’t afraid to let me know. I really try to use technology when I can. I say when I can because we have 10 computer labs to share with 3,000 students. Needless to say, I rarely, if ever, get the chance to bring my students to the lab. When I have been able to, I have used a website called Math is Fun-Math resources. I like this site because unlike other math sites, this site is more than just simple worksheets or kill-and-drill. The student or teacher can pick from a "map" of the most popular math skills such as Algebra or Data Analysis. The site has tutorials and facts that will help the students with what they are struggling with. The site also has puzzles and worksheets. This site is very user friendly and the students can navigate the site with ease. The other really cool thing about this site is they math dictionary. The user can choose a letter of the vocabulary word that they want to learn more about, and they words that start with that letter come up. I tell my students to use this site at home, as well, for homework help.



Another resource that I use a lot, and have been using since college, is Aplusmath. This site is good because it not only has worksheets and homework help but fun things like games and even flash cards for practice. This site would actually work better for use in a computer lab when there is time such as after a MAP test. I really don't use this site to teach anything new but again, it is a nice resource for students to use at home, especially the flash cards for those students who need to practice on math facts. Yes, my 8th graders need a lot of help with math facts and I cannot be their all the time to help them. This site is good for parents to be there and supervise.

3 comments:

  1. Krue, Your students most definitely sound like typical students talking about math. I agree that it's so hard to find time to use technology in a building as big as yours. I wish that you had the opportunity to use it a lot more because they are so many valubable resources. When my students have a few minutes, I let them play on coolmath4games.com. This allows students to choose their grade level, so it's an easy way to differentiate without the kids all knowing who is doing what. I've never used Aplusmath,but I'll let some kids review it and see what they think. Both sound great though. Always wonderful to think what people did before the internet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never would have thought that math websites would hold appeal for me. I've never liked math and still avoid it at all cost. However....I do try to integrate it into my FACS classes because I firmly believe that what I refer to as "Consumer Math" is math that everyone really needs to function in life. You know, math for grocery shopping, eating out, tipping, paying bills, etc. After looking at the sites you reviewed I have a renewed interest in Math!!! Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but these sites have great material for practicing/reinforcing many of the concepts that I teach in my FACS classes. Measurements, unit cost, money master would be perfect activities for my students when they have down time in class. I was a little surprised that Math is Fun was a bit like an online text. That is to say...it is not as interactive as I would have hoped. Will have to let some of my students try it to see how they respond to it. Gonna need more computers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another useful math site I have used is from the Illuminations site of the NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) http://illuminations.nctm.org/
    This website provides a number of online activities that align with state standards and grade level. Many of the activities require a flash plug-in so it may be necessary to involve the network admin when using with your classes. In addition to math activities, there are teacher lessons and links to other websites. Take a look. It may provide something that could make math more meaningful than simply online drill.

    ReplyDelete